Saturday, January 15, 2011

In Retrospect - Exploring Hong Kong

I've been so busy this whole week that I didn't have time to update. So I'm going to write some in retrospect posts about the past 2 weeks.

Thursday, I spent the morning choosing my classes. It's so hard to get into any classes since exchange students are the last group to pick their class, and by the time we have a chance to, a lot of the classes are full. I ended up with some of the most random classes: Linguistic – Language and Culture, Chinese Society, Medical Sociology, East Asian Foreign Relation, and 2 Mandarin classes. I might drop one of these classes since I only need 5 to meet the minimum requirement.

At night, some exchange student organization organized an outdoor hot pot dinner for all the new CUHK exchange students, so some of my friends and I decided to go and meet some new people. It was definitely a fun experience since I never hot potted outdoor in the cold. After we finished eating, we got really cold so we went into 7-11 to stay warm. It was funny how a bunch of foreign exchange students just huddled up in this small 7-11; the cashier probably thought we were going to steal something. Since everyone else was still not done yet, my friends and I decided to go to Shatin to eat Chinese dessert. In Hong Kong, the desserts are so much better and so much cheaper! We all shared 3 dishes – red bean and grass jelly, durian with vanilla soup (my friends who never tried durian wanted to try it out), and mango with green tea ice cream. All three were so good!

One of the hot pot, so much food!
Chinese Dessert, yum!

Friday, I spent most of the days running errands such as getting my student octopus card and opening my student bank account. At night, there was a welcoming dinner for the new exchange students. The restaurant we went to looked really nice and fancy; it even floats on the river! Dinner was really good – the 10 course meal was enough to feed 15 people. Sadly, I didn't take a lot of pictures of the food.

Floating Restaurant

While walking back to the dorm after dinner, I met someone who is in APO at San Diego State University. It was a total surprise – I never thought that I would even meet APO people in Hong Kong. I guess APO people are everywhere! Wished I brought my other letters (I only brought my American Apparel letters) so both of us could rep APO in HK. At night, I went to my first club in HK. It was organized by the same people who did the hot pot the night before. The experience was ok for my first time clubbing in HK. The place was super small and there were 100+ people, so people started dancing on the couch. It was open bar so all the drinks were watered down and they ran out really quickly. The cool thing was that I was able to see how bartenders acted – one of the bartenders started pouring shots directly into people's mouth and dancing on the bar table – and order drinks.

First clubbing experience in HK

No comments:

Post a Comment