Saturday, January 15, 2011

In Retrospect - So school starts again

Monday was the first day of class. I only had 2 classes – one at 8:30am and another at 4:30pm. I barely woke up for my 8:30am. Since I didn't really know where my class was, I left my room early in case I got lost. However, since I am semi-familiar with the campus, it took less time than I thought to find the room. The class was about Chinese society. It was interesting learning about the history of China, but I still fell asleep since it was way too early. The 4:30pm class is Linguistic. Since I never took any Linguistic class before, I was semi-lost with what the professor was talking about, so I actually might drop the class. For dinner, my friends and I went to Shatin mall since we needed to get out money from the ATM. We ate at a place call Shakey Pizza, which is a retail chain restaurant in America. According to my friends, Shakey Pizza in America is like other normal take-out pizza place. However, the one in HK was a sit-down restaurant that was really nice. The menu was also different – there were a lot more variety and some even tailored toward Chinese people. The Szechuan chicken pizza was definitely something I could not eat in America. After dinner, I finally got money from my Bank of America account in HK, I'm so happy that my Hello Kitty debit card didn't go to waste. We went to eat dessert at the same place, but since this was a different group of friends, they were really excited. At night, since some of us were running out of clothes, we had a laundry party. Basically, it was a fail since we didn't know how to work the laundry machines. But it was really fun to laugh at all our stupid mistakes.

Tuesday, I had more classes to go. Like usual, I fell asleep in my morning class – discussion for Linguistic. The second class was Medical Sociology, which was really interesting since it talked about the issue of health in the world and how it connects to one's social and physical environment. Then, I had my 2 Mandarin classes. Since I can't speak Mandarin that well, I was nervous to speak in class. However, my friends said that my pronunciation was not bad, it just had a little bit of Cantonese accent. I really like the 2 Mandarin classes because the teachers were really good and I could finally learn a language that I have been wanting to learn for so long. After class, we went to Tai Po to eat since we needed to buy some more necessities. Sadly, I couldn't find a hair straightener so I have to go buy it tomorrow at Shatin. At night, my friends and I were wondering around the dorm to check out each other rooms and roommates. At CUHK, a lot of people have their own group of friends and there are always groups of people hanging out in the lounge. So as a joke, we decided to create our own group – local foreigners. All of us speak Chinese and most of us have family in Hong Kong or were born in China. Also, since we are Chinese, we look like local students but actually are foreigners.

No comments:

Post a Comment